Skats

Datenschutzerklärung Letzten 7 Tage (Beiträge) Stichworte Fussball Tippspiel Sakniff Impressum
Zurück   Skats > Interessant & Kontrovers > Musik unplugged
Registrieren Hilfe Benutzerliste Kalender Alle Foren als gelesen markieren

21. April 2002, 11:31   #1
HubsiH

Alice in Chains lead singer found dead in Seattle home

Noch eine Ikone des Grunge tot:

Alice in Chains lead singer found dead in Seattle home
04/20/2002

KING5.com

SEATTLE - Layne Staley, lead singer and guitarist for the Seattle grunge band Alice in Chains was found dead in his Seattle apartment Friday. Medical examiners are trying to determine if Staley’s struggle with drugs may have led to his death.

Police were called to Staley’s University District apartment Friday afternoon in the heart of the University District. Inside they found a body, apparently dead for several days. Medical examiners confirmed on Saturday that 34-year-old Staley had died of a heroin overdose.

Alice in Chains was forced to cancel a 1994 tour after Staley admitted his battle with heroin addiction.
The news of Layne Staley’s death shocked the local rock and roll community. Like Nirvana and Soundgarden, Alice in Chains was a band prominent in the early '90s Seattle heyday of grunge rock.

The group's first album, "Facelift," was released in 1990 and the band quickly rose to prominence, following with albums including "Dirt" and "Alice in Chains" which quickly rose to the top of the Billboard charts. Their latest CD was their greatest hits released last year.

Alice in Chains and the handful of grunge rock bands became a national sensation by bridging the gap between hard rock and alternative music. In addition to its minimalist, hard-driving music, heroin was also part of the grunge scene.

Staley, a Kirkland, Wash., native, had always been outspoken about his drug use and even talked about it in national magazines. In a 1996 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Staley spoke of how his drug use influenced his lyrics.

"I wrote about drugs, and I didn't think I was being unsafe or careless by writing about them," he told the magazine. "Here's how my thinking pattern went: When I tried drugs, they were (expletive) great, and they worked for me for years, and now they're turning against me -- and now I'm walking through hell, and this sucks."

Alice in Chains was forced to cancel a 1994 tour after Staley admitted his battle with heroin, a drug that had taken a toll on other Seattle musicians, including Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain. Cobain’s own struggle with heroin was well known long before he committed suicide in 1994.

Just three months later, Hole bassist Kristen Pfafff’s body was found in the bathtub of her Seattle apartment. She too had died of an overdose.

Fans of Alice in Chains and its dynamic lead singer are now remembering a gifted musician who ended up losing the battle.

KING5's Roberta Romero and Jim Klockow contributed to this report.

12. November 2006, 01:28   #2
Bandwurm
Erde, Wind & Feuer

Benutzerbild von Bandwurm

Danke für die Info, auch wenn der Grund ein trauriger ist.

Antwort

Skats > Interessant & Kontrovers > Musik unplugged

Stichworte
home, seattle

Themen-Optionen

Alle Zeitangaben in WEZ +1. Es ist jetzt 23:33 Uhr.